Cullinagh Bridge & Cross Roads Dancing at Aille cross
The Birr Portumna Railway Line
One hundred and thirty four years ago, the people of East Galway and particularly Portumna looked forward to the linking by rail, their naive area to the great Eastern side of the Shannon.
Linking Portumna to Birr became a reality in 1868. For ten years, the daily trains reached the terminus east of the river Shannon. Had it come to Portumna town, there's a possibility it might still be there.
Marion Whyte - Traditional Irish Crafts
The Evictions at Ballygowan
Loughrea Lake & Mac Liag
Duniry / Dún Doighre Past and Present
Duniry, sister parish of Abbey in South Galway , has a long and interesting history.
From the 16th Century, the Mac Aodhagáin family was foremost in promoting education in the area. They had become Ollamhs, Judges, Attorneys and Interpreters of the law. They established schools and centres of learning.
A Bardic school was formed in the 16th Century with an Ecclesiastical college close by. From 1600-1800 they conducted a Bardic school . Here "An Leabhar Breac" was written. The Mac Aodhagáin school built on the site of the present cemetery had the status of a University. Remnants of the University remained until the beginning of the 20th Century. The corner stone of the University is still there to be seen.
Click to set custom HTML